• September 24, 2009 |

Hot on the Press

booklust

article by

on rumorsThis fall season will find the New Release table at your neighborhood bookstore (or large and impersonal mega-chain, as the case may be) light on fictional material. In an effort to boost sales, it seems publishing companies are trying to reach out to the politician, economist, and general nonfiction enthusiast inside us all.

Herewith, some of the newest books we’re most excited to read:

On Rumors: How Falsehoods Spread, Why We Believe Them, What Can Be Done (September 29, Farrar, Straus, Giroux), by Cass R. Sunstein

Sunstein will examine rumors in the context of politics—their origins, the people who spread them, and the effect they have on their targets.

Here Come the Regulars: How to Run a Record Label on a Shoestring Budget (October 13, Farrar, Straus and Giroux), by Ian Anderson

Anderson, the front man for the band One for the Team, shares his experience starting an independent label, Afternoon Records, in 2003. With a mix of practical tips, biographical facts, and rough budgets, Anderson’s book may very well become a definitive book for musicians rebelling against The Man.

SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance (October 20, HarperCollins), by Stephen D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

In this follow-up to their bestseller, Levitt and Dubner promise to raise some eyebrows. Dubbed a “freakquel” by the publishing company, this book may just be too mainstream for some of you. Still, give it a chance: whether it’s the questions themselves, or just the way they ask them, Levitt and Dubner know how to shock, and do so with some pretty wild statistics.

Eating Animals (November 2, Little, Brown Company), by Jonathan Safran Foer

He may be your favorite (or least favorite, if you’re the jealous type) novelist, but Foer’s latest literary endeavor comes to us in the form of a memoir. After the birth of his children, Foer found himself confronting dietary myths and regulations, searching for answers to the problem of eating behavior. With a controversial subject and a controversial author, this book will probably make a few lists — though the nature of those lists remains to be seen.

Googled: The End of the World as We Know It (November 3, Penguin), by Ken Auletta

Following the Google trajectory from initial conception to current domination, Auletta will explain how Google first achieved success, and the impact that its success has had on all forms of media—newspapers, books, television, movies, and advertising.

Follow the Model: Miss J’s Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power (November 10, Simon and Schuster), by J. Alexander

Part memoir, part self-help, Miss J’s book promises to have as much attitude as the lady herself. Your favorite “America’s Next Top Model” runway coach dishes out secrets on becoming your best, with personal stories scattered along the way.