the princess diaries

the princess diaries

suiting up and growing older

On my fifth birthday, I announced to my parents that I was a princess. I told them I was expecting my real parents, the king and queen of some far-off land who wore clothes straight out of the 15th century, to reclaim me and bring me back to their castle. I predicted that, within the year, I’d be wearing yellow ball gowns and taking riding lessons on my white pony. Although I didn’t actually want a pony, I thought that a white pony was a prerequisite to becoming a princess. And since I fully intended to embrace my true identity as a princess, I would need as many white ponies as possible.

I’m not sure how my parents tell this story now without cringing. While they see it as an adorable stage I went through, I see it as something to be concerned about and as a precursor for what was to come. See, I didn’t simply want to be a princess; I was convinced I was one. I wore dresses to school every day because princesses didn’t wear anything less. When it rained and my mom insisted I wear warm pants and rain boots, I wore a dress over the pants so my friends wouldn’t question my princess status. I had dreams in which my real royal parents whisked me away from the imposters I currently lived with. I memorized the lines to classic Disney movies so that, when I finally arrived at my castle, I would know the correct way to talk to my servants and courtiers. And even though I turned six and then seven with no sign from my real parents, I still bought dresses in bigger sizes, secure in the knowledge that I really was a princess.

In fourth grade, sweatpants and sweatshirts abruptly replaced my dresses. Gone were the yellow sundresses and pink party dresses. Instead, my closet became a monotonous display of grays and blues. Pink was no longer allowed fewer than 10 inches from my body, and I almost threw a fit when I had to wear a skirt on Easter. I wore my hair in a messy ponytail every day, and sneakers were my footwear of choice. Princesses, I had decided, were nowhere near as cool as professional soccer players. Or marathon runners. Or even baseball players. True, I was no Mia Hamm, but I wore her jersey weekly and had her autograph hanging in a gold frame in my room. While I couldn’t run a marathon, catch a ball to save my life, or score many goals, I figured that dressing the part was the first step towards athletic success.

My closet full of jerseys and sweat suits soon morphed into a horrific collection of pastel polos and miniskirts from the teenager sections of department stores. Generally, this is a time I like to pretend never existed. Soon after this came my business casual phase. I’m not talking pantsuits and collared shirts, but I was used to people asking me if I had an interview after school. Yes, I liked blazers and pencil-type skirts, and no, I did not have an interview. I was even told to dress down at my internship at the local newspaper because I made everyone else look underdressed. Although this was probably their way of saying that it looked like I was trying too hard, I took it as a compliment. When school spirit week came around and people dressed in sweat suits in our school colors, I opted to switch up my accessories in order to coordinate with the blue and gold-clad students.

It wasn’t that I was anti-school spirit or anti-sweat pants. I just didn’t want anyone to think that I was someone other than the person I was desperately trying to be. I tried to be a princess, an athlete, and a star student who looked like she had everything together. Although I was never any of those things, I hoped that, by looking the part, I could fool everyone else into thinking that I was.

During one of my first 9 a.m. lectures my freshman year at Brown, a kid wearing an oversized sweatshirt and pajama pants sat next to my dress-clad figure. His messy hair along with his hunched position over his steaming coffee cup indicated that he had just rolled out of bed. While I had, of course, heard stories of people who did this, who came to class dressed in loungewear looking half-asleep, I didn’t realize it actually happened. To someone like myself, who woke up an hour and a half before class so that I would have time to take a shower, get ready, and eat a sit-down breakfast, this type of behavior was hard to understand. Wasn’t the guy embarrassed? Didn’t he feel like a slob? And yet, as I looked around my lecture class, no one appeared to look twice at the guy who was still in his pajamas. In fact, I was the one getting more attention because I was very much overdressed for the dreaded morning class. True, overdressing was not a new thing for me, but I realized how different I looked compared to the guy next to me. He was self-confident enough to wear pajamas to class while I was too insecure to wear anything except my best.

These days, my closet isn’t as one-dimensional as it used to be, and I’m beginning to realize that’s a good thing. I wore a skirt with sneakers the other day, and today I wore a plain t-shirt with jeans, skipping the accessories altogether. It felt weird to be underdressed, but it also felt good. I was less concerned with what I was wearing and more concerned with what I was doing throughout the day. One could argue that my current eclectic closet has more personalities than ever, but I would disagree. I think that by mixing up my style and combining a dress with sneakers and a blazer, I’m creating a singular personality that makes more sense than any of my previous ones ever did.

One Comment

1. 2015 WHEN IS THE DISNEY PRINCESS HALF MARATHON Review
    Mar 10, 2015 @ 20:00:44

[…] Wake County principals working in Krispy Kreme problem to promote literacy Simmons plans to run in the Disney Princess half of Marathon in Florida subsequent weekend. but she admits it's “just a little frightening” participating within the Krispy Kreme challenge. “I in point of fact like doughnuts, however I'm now not sure if I may devour a complete dozen,” Simmons mentioned … learn more on information & Observer the princess diaries I memorized the lines to classic Disney motion pictures in order that, when I eventually arrived at my fortress, i'd recognize the suitable technique to discuss to my servants and courtiers. And although I … pink was once no longer allowed fewer than 10 inches from my physique, and i … read extra on The Brown daily Herald […]