croissant french toast

croissant french toast

your guide to winning mvp of spring weekend

You wake up with a blistering headache. It’s Saturday of Spring Weekend 2015, and you’ve overdone yourself. You need a pick-me-up before the day’s festivities begin. Pusha T is coming on in less than three hours! Get yourself together!

The line at Bagel Gourmet is sure to be out the door, and last time you went to Louis, the eggs smelled like fish. Plus, leaving your house would require donning regular clothes. That means no neon tanks, fanny packs, bikinis-as-shirts, or stunna shades. Doesn’t sound so appealing, does it? Looks like you’ll have to scrounge something together from the pantry.

Your roommates are lounging around the house like a bunch of slugs, and it doesn’t seem like they’ll be whipping up a hangover cure anytime soon. You’re going to have to step up to the plate.

You know people will be telling stories from this weekend for years to come. Remember that time Jenny got on stage and danced with Waka Flocka? Remember how Joey fell asleep after the pregame and missed all of Friday night? (Shout-out to my friend who actually did this last year. You go, girl.) Time is running out, and you’re wondering: How are you going to get yourself on the map? What will you do that’s crazy enough for the history books? What will make you legendary?

After racking your brain, you settle on the best possible option. You will prepare a feast! You’ll forever be remembered as the person who helped everyone rally on Saturday when they thought they wouldn’t make it. You’ll be the hero of Spring Weekend!

So where do you begin? You still have that headache, so obviously, start by drinking a liter of water. No, not molly water, you dingus, that’s for later?—just regular water. Next, make a pot of coffee. Then, round up some ingredients and whip up a batch of French toast.

French toast is a brunch staple—it’s easy to make and even easier to eat. I’m typically a savory breakfast person, but when there’s a plate of French toast in front of me, all my beliefs fly right out the window. Add in the buttery, crusty, flaky goodness of a croissant, and I go absolutely bonkers.

This French toast recipe is inspired by the French toast at Kitchen, my favorite breakfast spot in Providence. If you haven’t been to Kitchen yet, GO! It’s worth the wait. Order a slice of bacon. Don’t think, just do it.

If you don’t have croissants, you can use any kind of bread to make French toast, although sweet breads like challah or baguette are best. Regular pre-sliced sandwich bread is fine, but if you’re trying to win MVP of SW2k15, you can do better.

Remember, there are all kinds of ways to be remembered. Not everyone is going to get to high-five Kelela or go crowd surf during “Float On.” But that doesn’t mean you’re not important! This Spring Weekend, make your mark with a breakfast of champions. You’ll go down in history as the best friend any Spring Weekender could ask for.

SW2k15 Croissant French Toast

2 croissants

2 eggs

1 cup milk (or cream, or a combination)

2 tbsp maple syrup

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp cinnamon (if that’s your thing)

Butter

Clare Kim Food

With a serrated knife, gently slice croissants in half. Whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. (Another option, if you prefer a citrusy vibe, is to whisk in a little orange zest and juice, and skip the cinnamon.)

Heat a nonstick pan on low heat, and add a pat of butter. While the pan is heating, dip the sliced croissants in your liquid mixture. Let them sit for about 30 seconds on each side, not long enough to get soggy. If you’re not using croissants, let the bread slices sit for a few minutes on each side, until the bread has absorbed some of the egg mixture.

Cook, flipping once until golden brown on each side. Serve with warm maple syrup, sliced fruit, or sprinkled powdered sugar. Congratulations, you’re the star of Spring Weekend! Now go forth, and party with a belly full of French toast.