• January 31, 2020 |

to binge or not to binge

what i watched this winter break that you should, too

Between shopping period and the start of the semester already picking up at full speed, it is probably not the best time to begin binging a new television series. However, if procrastination strikes or a much-needed study break approaches, here are a few recommendations that won’t hurt:

How to Get Away with Murder

As someone who favors bubbly rom-coms and light-hearted comedies, I do not typically gravitate towards murder-mystery shows such as How to Get Away with Murder. However, to say I am now obsessed with the ABC drama, starring Viola Davis as chilling defense attorney Annalise Keating, would be an understatement. How to Get Away with Murder does a fantastic job of balancing plot points that leave their viewers on the edge of their seats with a cast of characters worth investing in. The show begins with Professor Keating’s introductory law school course, “How to Get Away with Murder,” where five handpicked students soon find themselves at the center of a high-profile murder they accidentally committed. A warning: Given each episode’s riveting cliffhangers, this show is dangerously addictive. I have nothing but high praise for How to Get Away with Murder, and if you are looking for a show where each episode is better than the next, this is the one for you.

Atypical

The third season of this Netflix original series hit streaming services at the end of 2019. With short 30-minute episodes, Atypical is the perfect show to watch when you need a designated, manageable study break but cannot justify watching a full movie. Unlike some television series that worsen with age (I’m looking at you Riverdale, Teen Wolf, and The Vampire Diaries), season three of Atypical matched, if not exceeded, the bar established by previous seasons. The third season follows Sam Gardner (Keir Gilchrist), an autistic student, as he embarks on his first year in college. Atypical is particularly successful given its realistic plot, with the Gardners (Sam’s sister Casey, played by Brigette Lundy-Paine, is a stand-out character) facing struggles any other family may find itself dealing with identity formation, cheating betrayals, navigating friendships, and first loves. This down-to-earth series is one to look into if hyper-dramatic plots have become too over-the-top for your liking.

Disney Movies

What better way is there to celebrate the close of the 2010s than to rewatch your favorite Disney films that debuted in the last decade? I revisited my all-time favorite, Tangled, and was instantly reminded why this plot has a special place in my heart. On the eve of her 18th birthday, the spirited Rapunzel (voiced by Mandy Moore) won’t take no for an answer when it comes to seeing the infamous floating lanterns she has been dreaming about. Despite being locked in a castle for her entire life, Rapunzel does not revert to being a damsel in distress; instead, she wields weapons herself and is a curious problem solver. Alongside a comical cast of characters including crook Flynn Rider (Zachary Levi), palace horse Maximus, and Rapunzel’s trusty sidekick chameleon, Pascal, Tangled has an enjoyable element for every type of viewer. I also recently rewatched Brave, which features another princess protagonist who refuses to be typecast, as well as Frozen 2, which was arguably better than the original—a feat I never thought possible. And with the new streaming service Disney+, there is truly no better time to return to some Disney classics. 

Whether or not you start binging a new series this very second, maybe hold off until you have officially solidified your schedule or when spring break rolls around (I commend you for your will power). Hopefully these suggestions will prove helpful when the time comes to hunker down with a warm blanket, hot cocoa, and a good TV show.