Pia Mileaf-Patel

shrimpy medicine

losing yourself in a cambodian secret recipe

***Disclaimer*** According to Yelp, Angkor Restaurant does not accept Bitcoin, as of the date of publication. You are in Providence, Rhode Island. You are at Fox Point. There are a lot of coffee shops over here (see Vol 21, Issue 1’s “Browntown Beans and Brews”). It’s pretty cold, or maybe not at all. In fact,…

beef barn - Lisa Fasol

Got Beef?

Your V-day date will never see this one coming…

“Apple pie without ice cream is like a hug without a kiss,” proclaims one of the many plaques that decorate the knotty pine walls of the Beef Barn. The apple pie at the Beef Barn comes without ice cream, but sometimes a hug without a kiss is what’s appropriate. And when apple pie tastes like…

Boiled Fish (Linda Liu)

Boiled Fish

An Investigation of Tradition

A fish boil is a styrofoam plate and plastic spork affair. The local travel site Doorcounty.com’s dining section calls it a “ must-see culinary event” and directs visitors to nine places to see, eat, and experience a fish boil. “What began as an economical way to feed large, hungry hoards of lumberjacks and fishermen has…

My Favorite Color (Caroline Hu)

Unpacking Orange

Fire and Pepper

“There is no orange without blue,” said Vincent van Gogh. Arches National Park has stacked orange rocks against a sky so deeply blue it seems the color has been pasted on. These rocks make sweet-potato gateways that flicker from peach-pit orange to the inside of a summer-sunburst tomato. A stripe of steamed mussel gives way…

doris lious salads

Salads ‘n’ Stuff

An inquiry into salads

Traditional Salad Bar This is your average salad bar. It’s fine. The official recommended system is to get a to-go box, add all your ingredients and dressing, then shake it like you’re listening to OutKast in 7th grade. If this sounds like your type of lunch, this is the right salad bar for you. Mediterranean…