Spencer Roth-Rose

michelle ng hoax at the oscars

Hoax at the Oscars!

How The Best Picture Screw-Up Really Went Down

INT—BOARDROOM: Boardroom of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Beverly Hills. The Oscars are next week. Seated around the table are a dozen representatives who make up the Board. Each representative is 89% white and 73% male, and they are all exactly 63 years old. At the head of the table is OSCAR,…

natasha sharpe to mock a tyrant color

To Mock a Tyrant

Is Political Satire Worth It Anymore?

It’s 2017, and we take our timelines like we take our coffee: dark, bitter, and likely to keep us up all night tossing and turning. The front page of every newspaper, every day, reads like a fear-mongering Hillary Clinton campaign ad: “Imagine a world in which the least qualified, most morally bankrupt presidential candidate in…

watskyfinalsmallforweb

the era of george watsky

two boys grow up together

January 17, 2011 A kid from San Francisco posts a video on YouTube. His name is George Watsky, and he can rap fast. The video’s title says as much—and after going viral on Reddit, the 90-second clip of this white kid spitting in a slight lisp over Busta Rhymes’s “Break Ya Neck” gains 100,000 views…

Michelle Ng dengerous theme parks sep 28

“Nothing Can Go Wrong”

Our Love Affair With Theme Park Disaster Films

I’ve never been a thrill-seeker. I’ve gone skiing the same number of times I’ve gone on a loop-de-loop rollercoaster: a white-knuckled once. But our culture has a fascination with being thrilled. We tiptoe through haunted houses, peer through our fingers at scary movies, and strap ourselves onto parachutes and jump out of airplanes.   We…

harry potter and the seven genres sep 14 2016 clarisse angkasa

harry potter and the seven genres:

how each book fits into a class of its own

With Harry Potter and the Cursed Child hitting both bookshelves and London’s Palace Theatre this summer, Pottermania has reached peaks not seen since the release of the final film back in 2011. Luckily for a complete geek like me, who modeled his first pair of glasses in second grade after his favorite boy wizard, all…