• katya labowe-stoll

my year of adulting

February 1, 2019

My year of “adulting” began when I moved into my off-campus apartment in June, and I realized I needed wifi. When I signed the lease, I was thinking about affordability, proximity to campus, and whether or not the rooms had natural light—not so much about how I would check my email, access Canvas, or stream […]

a life fraught with living

November 30, 2018

In those rare minutes of true silence I sit and wonder why the good times seem to worsen all bad and battered things that follow in their wake Oh tell me you have felt that extra-bitter truth of losing love having known its sweetness Tell me, you too have torn the fruit tree limb from […]

slice of heaven

November 16, 2018

“Are you kidding me? It’s like a pocket full of goodness.” We are bent over four Nutella crepes, tucked inside the best hidden place in all of Providence: La Creperie on Fones Alley. Over the past few weeks, we have made our way through all of the Brown University staples, including Baja’s, Bagel Gourmet, and […]

power to the people

October 25, 2018

Let’s talk about that cover. Or, to focus the issue, let’s see how long we can talk about it. White background, black text, “The Beatles,”—that’s all we’re given to work with. Context is everything. So, placed in proper aesthetic sequence, following the detailed, pop-art explosions of the Revolver and Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band […]

strawberry generation makes music

October 11, 2018

Two years ago, I remember going to the Underground for an event. How the event went and what friend I went with and what things I saw there, I can’t remember. But what I do remember is what I heard, from two people and a ukulele. Little did I know that I was witnessing the […]