Seo Jung Shin

Sad Beautiful Tragic

Talking Through Taylor Swift’s Latest Album

On November 10th, Taylor Swift released her sixth studio album Reputation. The managing editor of A&C, Joshua Lu, and section editor Josh Wartel discuss the new album. Joshua Lu: Before I share my thoughts on the album, I should admit something: I’m just sick and tired of Taylor Swift. I’m tired of her as an…

Rogue Island (Seo Jung Shin)

rogue island

a short history of piracy in the smallest state in the union

On May 4, 1776, Rhode Island cemented itself as a colony of contrarians. A full two months before the official signing of the Declaration, the few inhabitants of this tiny scrap of land in a yet-unformed nation declared independence from the British crown. Though 12 other colonies were soon to follow, Rhode Island was notorious…

Somewhere That’s Green

Reflections on Frank Oz’s Little Shop of Horrors

As a musical, Howard Ashman and Alan Menken’s 1982 Little Shop of Horrors is near flawless. Infused with a spirit of anarchic, savage irony, and drawn from Roger Corman’s original 1960 film, it fires on all cylinders primarily because of its perfect score: an early-’60s blend of doo-wop, bubble-gum pop, and rock-and-roll. The original…

On Meditation (Seo Jung Shin)

Tidying Up

Furnishing Mental Rooms

What do you do when you wake up every morning? Hastily run to class? Check Instagram? I usually lament the fact that that my 9 a.m. starts in three minutes. Other answers are possible. A noteworthy answer is, look at a list of things you are grateful for. One Saturday morning, I had the pleasure…

charlie-brown-comes-home-doris-liou

Charlie Brown Comes Home

how the clemency initiative saved one man from life imprisonment

Nobody stays long at the Anthony P. Travisono Intake Service Center in Providence, Rhode Island, and nobody wants to. Serving as the first stop for over 1,200 incarcerated people on their way into the criminal justice system each month, conditions are poor—the stale confines reek of musty clothes and pepper lingering from the mace spray…